Board Minutes, January 2016 PDF Print E-mail

Board of Directors Meeting
January 10, 2016
Karl Lembke, Chairman
Marty Cantor, Secretary

(The Board of Directors did not meet in February so the January minutes was not be presented to, and accepted  by, the Board until its March meeting.)

Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Marty Cantor, Gavin Claypool, Mike Thorsen, Nick Smith, Elayne Pelz, Michelle Pincus, Rob "Gizmo" Powell, Marcia Minsky, Debra Levin., and Christian McGuire.

Members and Guests: Frank Waller, Lee Gold, Barry Gold, Matthew B. Tepper, Francis Hamit, Greg Barrett, Jeromy Miller, Greg Bilan, Tom Safer, Sue Fox, Joe Zeff.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:08 am. The Chairman welcomed us to the Sunday, January 10, 2016 meeting of the Board of Directors.

Minutes: The minutes of the meeting of December 13th, 2015, were accepted as presented.

Voting for Board officers: All present officers were accepted in place except new Board member Debra Levin who was elected as Comptroller and Gavin Claypool took over overseeing the Library.

New Members: There were 3 applications for membership from fans who paid their $10 application fee: Sergio Alcantar, Ryan Stevens, and Maggie Jung. They were unanimously accepted.

Treasurer: (Elayne Pelz): $34,844.96 is the amount in the current treasury.

30-second Reports:

Chairman (Karl Lembke): Reported about his talking to the police about the homeless encampment on Aetna.

Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire):  No report.

Secretary (Marty Cantor): No report.

Publications (Marty Cantor): No report.

Comptroller (Gavin Claypool): Annenberg Leadership Seminar application: opened on schedule. We have to discuss some items about this. This has to do with how we do things and the discussion was put off for later on in the day.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen): This month: 222 units bringing in $226.00. (The difference has to do with two items being sold at higher than the usual charges.) Total units to date: 35,022, and total monies to date: $30,001.50. We purchased paper products (disposable dishware) and propane. Vending machine has been repaired.

Library (Warren “Whisky” Johnson): (Gavin:) We have more space for books with additional bookcases. We will eventually shift some books around. We are caught up on donations and we have purchased some more books.

Archives (Marcia Minsky): We have archives.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): We have a physical plant with no new problems.

AV Equipment (Rob Powell): No report.

Events (Nick Smith): LOSCON 42 - Marcia said we will soon be turning some money to the LASFS but no details at this time. We did fine, though, doing better than 41. // LOSCON 43  - Michelle: will soon have a meeting.

Recruitment, and Marketing Committee (Michelle Pincus): Not much of a report this time. // Karl mentioned that he got the address and password for the LASFS Goodreads account. Karl is the new Administrator on this account and now Karl and the LASFS are co-Administrators for the account.

(Significant Others)

Club President (Gavin Claypool): At last Thursday's meeting there was a discussion about how to alter the state of the club.

WEB MASTER (Barry Gold): Web site has been updated with new officers being listed.

AGENDA ITEMS:

Budget for 2016: The Budget for 2016 was presented to the club by Elayne. (We also reviewed the budget results from 2015.) The new budget was discussed in detail. It was then Moved, Seconded, and Passed to accept the budget as presented. (This includes $2275.00 from the Michael Mason Foundation.)

LOSCON Bid Qualification: There was a LOSCON bid named ChronoCon by Con Chair Matthew Tepper. Elayne Pelz will be Treasurer and hotel liaison will be Jason Justice. There is a Weapons Policy. No theme decided upon at this time. Matthew was questioned and there was discussion about the bid. There was a motion which was Moved, Seconded, and Passed to accept this bid.

OPEN FORUM:

Gavin reopened the Homeless situation discussion. Karl has talked to the police department about this. Our major problem is the blocking of the sidewalks. Matthew Tepper recommended that we keep a log of problems. Karl will speak to Milt to find out what he did in the first contact about this problem with the Police and the City.

Tom Safer and Susan Fox presented the club with $360 for MPLC license. (There was applause.)

There was a small discussion about moving. It was Moved, Seconded, and Passed that Elayne be tasked with exploring this and Karl mentioned that she feel free to recruit help.

The next meeting will be on March 13, 2016.

(We adjourned to a close session.)

TAKE-AWAYS:

The Board adjourned its meeting at 12:37 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary

Last Updated ( Thursday, 05 January 2017 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark