Board Minutes, February 9, 2014 PDF Print E-mail
Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Marty Cantor, Marcia Minsky, Michelle Pincus, Eylat Poliner, Mike Thorsen, Gavin Claypool, Warren “Whisky” Johnson, Elayne Pelz, and Christian McGuire. Rob Powell had an excused absence.

Members and Guests: Matthew B. Tepper, Frank Waller, Lee Gold, Barry Gold, Robbie Bourget, Joe Zeff, Mike Stern, Scott Beckstead, Tom Safer, Ed Hooper.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:13 am. The Chairman welcomed us to the February 9 meeting.

Board Business: Karl Lembke was re-elected Chairman, Christian McGuire was re-elected Vice Chairman, Gavin Claypool was re-elected Comptroller, and Marty Cantor was re-elected Secretary. The Board members were reappointed to the various oversight offices they have been holding.

Minutes: The minutes of the meeting of December 8, 2013, were accepted as presented with one abstention.

Closed meeting: The Board then moved into a closed meeting.

Chairman (Karl Lembke): The chairman welcomed the audience back to the open meeting.

New Members: There were 13 applications for membership. These were submitted by: Jessica Malin, Sarah Clemens, Lori N. Willey, Steven Beraha, Cory J. Carmichael, John Sawyer, Crystal Pretzman, Gunhild Jacobs, Steven Roberts, Michael Gomez, Tiia Ramirez, Morgan Woods, and Monte Thrasher. They have paid their $5 and were all accepted.

Treasurer: (Elayne Pelz):  The budget was presented. The financial report was accepted by a  unanimous vote. // The budget was discussed. (Having a library book sale was discussed as a fund-raiser.) It was mentioned that we really have no room for more books so the budget item for book purchases was lowered. It was moved, seconded, and passed (with three abstentions) to drop the telephone if it can be done. Tom Safer offered to pay for the MPLC License and was thanked for this. There was a motion to accept the budget as amended – it was seconded and passed.

30 Second Reports:

Chairman (Karl Lembke): No report.

Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire): Anime LA donated $3500 to the LASFS. LOSCON 40 passed $1,256 to LASFS. Both Anime LA and LOSCON 40 were applauded.

Secretary (Marty Cantor): Gift Exchange. The Gift Exchange was successful  - and we did have hot, spiced cider.

Publications (Marty Cantor): I have found only one place in our general area which repairs Gestetner CopyPrinters – it is in Orange County. As it will probably take two trips for them to fix the problem – if the proper part is available on this now-obsolete machine – with one trip necessary to diagnose the problem and a second trip to put in the new part if one is available, I do not think that the club should spend what could be a lot of money fixing the machine and should consider it dead. We should save the base and dispose of the rest of the machine. When I find a proper replacement for the Gestetner I will purchase it (at my cost) and it will reside on the Gestetner’s base. The Board moved, seconded, and passed a motion to dispose of the Gestetner while saving the base on which it rests.

Comptroller (Gavin Claypool): Gavin brought up the possibility of a book sale like we once had in the parking lot in front of our previous facility. A problem is that we do not have a parking lot in our current facility.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen):  Soda units sold: 28,711 units to date, 633 units this period. Soda money: $23,481.25 to date, $638.25 for this period. // The Quartermaster purchased paper products, cleaning fluids, rodent control items, and other miscellaneous things.

Library (Warren “Whisky” Johnson): Yes, we have a library. There is still a problem of book storage.

Archives (Marcia Minsky): I now have some photos from the Trimble’s.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): There is a rodent problem and a cockroach problem. A representative from Dewey Pest Control inspected the property for the rodent problem. Karl volunteered to pay for part A of the Dewey Pest Control contract. Part B was moved, second, and passed to pay for this continuing inspection and control for a year. // A temporary food ban on the entire property of the LASFS, starting March 1, was proposed. (Already scheduled special events were exempted – LA 4000 and Pan Formal – but there was discussion of exceptions for other meetings; but, as this would open the door for just about every meeting being designated special for one or another reason [like people’s birthdays] it was decided that there would be NO other exceptions.) This was moved, seconded, and passed. (Elayne will contact all of the groups.) // The locking mechanism of the screen door off the computer room needs to be replaced.

AV Equipment (Rob Powell): Several members mentioned that they had not heard of any problems.

Events (Eylat Poliner): There have been requests for a Mah Jongg teaching event. The Board liked this and a date was set for it. // Cosplay Sewing Day at the LASFS was discussed and was sponsored by Tom Safer. There will be charges. // Elayne has scheduled a day for a LOSCON registration day. // LOSCON 40 (Christian): Just in the black – we did not pick up enough room nights so we did not make as much money as we could have had there been more room nights. It was moved, seconded and passed that the Board discuss LOSCON policy at the next Board meeting. // LOSCON 41 (Scott): We will be holding its first organizational meeting soon – the web site is being worked on. May 4 will be its first meeting. // LOSCONs of the Future (Christian): LOSCONs 38 and 40 did not make their room nights. The number of room nights has been lowered for the next 5 years in our new contract.

LOSCON BIDS: A bid for LOSCON 42 from Marcia Minsky and Robbie Bourget was presented and accepted. The club will vote on this on March 5.

Fund-raising and Recruitment (Michelle Pincus): Photo history pictures will be put on CDs and sold to the membership for $25.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Michelle Pincus): A new LASFS Gift Exchange video to go on You Tube was mentioned by Michelle and discussed by the Board.

Club President (Eylat Poliner):  We are having meetings. David Gerrold will be running meeting number 4000 on April 10.

WEB MASTER (Barry Gold): Our web site has been moved to new servers. There is still a problem with the Board of Directors e-mail list.


Due to the length of the meeting, the Banner and name tags item (Eylat) and the Stuff in the APA-L Room (Marty) items were moved to the next meeting. We did discuss a Harassment Policy for LOSCON and LASFS to some small degree. It was pointed out that LOSCON 42 had a harassment policy that would do for the nonce until we had a chance to see if any improvements were needed to it so that those who insisted that we have such a policy could be pointed in the direction of LOSCON 42’s policy. The Board will work on a Harassment Policy for LOSCON and LASFS.

Open Forum:

The next meeting of the Board will be on March 9, 2014.

Adjournment: The Board adjourned its meeting at 1:50 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary

Last Updated ( Monday, 03 March 2014 )
< Prev   Next >

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark