Board Minutes, July 2012 PDF Print E-mail

July Board Minutes

July 8, 2012

Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Mike Thorsen, Bill Ellern, Marcia Minsky, Marty Cantor, Christian McGuire, Arlene Satin, and Elayne Pelz. Warren “Whiskey” Johnson had an excused absence, as did Eylat Poliner and Rob Powell.

Members and Guests: Greg Bilan, Frank Waller, Lee Gold, Barry Gold, Joyce Sperling, Michael Pell, Matthew B. Tepper, Joe Zeff, Jim Busby, Tim Trzepacz, Michelle Pincus, Tom Safer, Toni Benoun, Sherri Benoun.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:10 am.

Opening Remarks: The Chairman welcomed us.

Minutes: The minutes of the Meeting of June 2012, were accepted as corrected.

New Members: The following people paid their $5 and applied for membership in the Society: David S. Pass, Daniel (Danny) Pass, Gilbert Berg, Martha Stilson, Amanda Geyer, John Geyer, Carol A. Sperling, Taylor Scott, John King, Skylaire Alfvegren. They were approved, unanimously.

Treasurer: We are down to about $11,000.00, and our electricity bill is not as high as in our previous building.

30 Second Reports:

Chairman (Karl Lembke): No report.

Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire): Vice is down, discretely working on more of it – in the future there will be more of it.

Secretary (Marty Cantor): No report.

Publications (Marty Cantor): No report.

Comptroller (Bill Ellern): No report.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen):  Soda units sold: 22,668 units to date, 315 units this period. Soda money: $17337.25 to date, $315.00 for this period. Purchased kitchen supplies, this month. Last month’s paper goods are still in good supply. //Frank Waller mentioned that our First Aid kit needs refreshing.

Library (Warren “Whiskey” Johnson): (No report from video curator.) Elayne says library has run out of money for this year and wants to transfer $1200 from the general fund with half of it going for shelving in the storage room and this was moved, seconded, and passed.

Archives (Marcia Minsky): I got a request from the International Costumer’s Guild in the person of Bruce Mai - they are archivists -  wanting to get together with us vis-à-vis setting up some sort of network to benefit both organizations. Marcia read the e-mail from Mister Mai. Lee Gold mentioned that Milt Stevens has the original Dik Daniels photos. There was a discussion of just where Dik Daniels’ photos should be stored and in what sort of media should be used. Marcia is directing Mr. Mai to Barry Gold.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): Bug bomb seems to have done the job of ridding the premises of some creepy-crawlies.

AV Equipment (Rob Powell): Our equipment was used at the Memorial and it worked fine. (Arlene.)

Events (Eylat Poliner): Christian reported on LOSCON 39. // Arlene reported on the Ray Bradbury Memorial. It was well attended with 63 people signing in. At least nine new people arrived with 4 of those joining the society. We had speakers and videos plus the pot luck went very well. The Memorial ended around 6 pm.

Fund-raising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin): The number of new people showing up at the Bradbury Memorial was satisfying.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): The design of the bookmarks is done, however the printer keeps finding problems with it. The artist is now working with the printer to solve all of these problems. // Contacted by somebody interested about Forry for a documentary. They want to use photos from our archives. // 18th of this month will be the reading of the Hugo nominees. // Arlene and Matthew are thinking of a lecture series, ending at the anniversary of the Society  – October - this year. // Arlene went to the Mysterious Galaxy event, meeting Young Adult authors. This was a productive meeting. Arlene will follow up with this group and its members (many of whom expressed an interest in LASFS).

Club President (Matthew B. Tepper): We had our regular meeting last Thursday.

WEB MASTER (Barry Gold): Ky reports that she sometimes cannot get through to the LASFS web site. The secretary told what he had seen of her set-up and posited that this might be the cause of her problem.. // From the last meeting, we did not get a slide show from Thorsen. Barry Gold wants a historical listing of club officers for the web site.

Open Forum:

Agenda Items:

Eylat Poliner would like to have a chili cook-off on a Second Sunday. Christian will work with Eylat on this. Karl mentioned that we would probably be using previous rules.

(We moved into a closed session.)

Tom Safer is giving away a working Lexmark printer.

Christian would like the club president to gently dissuade the membership to stop bringing to the club their no-longer-to-them-useable electronics and they should recycle these items themselves.

Our next Board meeting will be August 12, 2012.

Take-Aways:

Taken Away from previous meetings:

Adjournment: The Board adjourned its meeting 12:39 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Marty Cantor, Board Secretary

Last Updated ( Sunday, 09 September 2012 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark