Board Minutes, February 2012 PDF Print E-mail

Board of Directors meeting
February 12, 2012
Karl Lembke, Chairman
Marty Cantor, Secretary

Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Mike Thorsen, Eylat Poliner, Bill Ellern, Marcia Minsky, Rob Powell, Marty Cantor, Christian McGuire, Arlene Satin, Warren 'Whiskey' Johnson, and Elayne Pelz.

Members and Guests: Greg Bilan, Michael Pell, Joyce Sperling, Robbie Bourget, Michelle Pincus, Marcia Minsky, Joe Zeff, Milt Stevens, Lee Gold, Barry Gold, June Moffatt, Matthew B. Tepper, Frank Waller, Jeni Burr, Tim Trzepacz, Scott Beckstead, Cathy Beckstead, Tony Benoun, Ed Hooper, Sherri Benoun, Tom Safer, Mike Donahue, Ron Garner.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:08 am.

Opening Remarks:The Chairman said, "Welcome to 7 the February meeting of the Board." 

Recognition of new Board Member and Board Officer election: We welcomed Eylat Poliner to the Board and former Board member Darnell Coleman was thanked for his service on the Board.

Board reorganization: Karl Lembke was reelected Chairman of the Board, Christian McGuire was reelected as vice Chairman, Marty Cantor was reelected as Secr etary, and Bill Ellern was reelected as Comptroller. All Board members stayed in their current assignments with new member Eylat Poliner taking charge of Events Coordinator.

Minutes: The minutes of the Meeting of December 2011, were accepted as presented.

New Members: These people paid their $5 and put in applications to join the Society: Frank Gross, Brian Lawson, Jeromy Miller, Marlyn Miller, Kristina Miller, Elizabeth Carlie, Zalman Serebryanski. All were accepted.

Treasurer: Elayne will report later in the meeting.

30 Second Reports:

Chairman (Karl Lembke): No report.

Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire): No report.

Secretary (Marty Cantor): I will be working with Elayne to sort the large number of software programme discs in the APA -L Room, discarding that which is obsolete.

Publications (Marty Cantor): No report.

Comptroller (Bill Ellern): No report.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen): Soda units sold: 21,055 units to date, 636 units this period. Soda money: $15,697 to date, $659.25 for this period. We have a month's supply of paper goods and lots of sugar for coffee. We have purchased a new universal remote as a replacement for the 3 units which were lost.

Library (Warren "Whiskey" Johnson): (No report from video curator.) We have books. We need a new shelf unit. The person who will be building it has been sick. We have been getting lots of donations of books.

Archives (Marcia Minsky): Thanking Eylat and those who helped putting out display cases. Elayne mentioned that Anne Morrell is no longer able to do the Westercon Archives so she will go in and attempt to straighten them out.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): Water is now fixed — with new heaters. Wiring completed but we need a new thermostat. New timer clock for sign will be put in — at this point we should be done with the contractor in a week. We hope. We need two timer controls for the air conditioning units so that they will turn off automatically.

AV Equipment (Rob Powell): There have been no complaints from Charlie Jackson on the set -up.

Events (Eylat Poliner): No report yet, referred to LOSCON chairs: Arlene said LOSCON 38 will be having a close-out meeting on the 25th and we turned over $5,000 to the club. Christian (LOSCON 39) has a new GoH, a costumer. He will be handing over parts of the con to new, young people. We are trying to get new and young people interested in LOSCON and we expect to do major work on the LOSCON Domesday Book. // Karl presented Charlie Jackson's Second Housewarming proposal.

Fund-raising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin): Arlene has been ill so she is a bit behind in getting things done. Both the reading programme and the children's reading programme will be done later.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): The Director of the Reno Book Fair has stepped down but Arlene is letting that committee know that she is still interested in the committee.

Club President (Marcia Minsky): We have new members, big auctions, and more people are attending meetings. Some old members are returning.

WEB MASTER (Barry Gold): There is a new Board Alias. // There is a defect in the calendar as the original start date of continuing items is the date which comes up on calendar items. The best fix is to change the start date once a year.

Report on parking (Milt Stevens): The police will not change parking policy on Aetna. The recommendation is getting signatures, both from us and from businesses on a Petition to the Mayor.) There was a discu ssion of this matter and a discussion of the Orange Line parking lots.

Agenda Items:

Budgets and money we don't have (Elayne): We discussed the budget for last year (when we had a lot of donations including SCIFI [who gave us $25,000 and an additional $5,000 to fix the roof]) and the proposed budget for this year. We moved to increase the Marketing part of the Budget $165. This passed. We still have a Pay- Pal account and people can donate money that way. Anime LA donated $2,000 to LASFS. (There was applause.) It was moved and seconded that we accept the budget as amended — this passed.

LASFS Gala: Eylat has been delayed because of personal matters.

Arlene: Doug Crepeau has donated a very nice Electrolux vacuum cleaner to the club — and it is a good machine. (The old vacuum cleaner has been disposed of.)

Arlene: (cleaning): When we do our own events is when there are problems with people not taking responsibility in keeping the building clean. Outside groups are better on this. Eylat proposed that the person running an event should be held responsible for the cleaning after that event. We discussed the problem of people leaving messes. // Opening hours on Thursdays: it was moved that the official opening time on Thursday's be no earlier than 6:00 pm. It was seconded and passed. We will post a Thursday hours sign on door.

Board Gaming (Marty Cantor): Elayne said that the charge for outside groups to use the clubhouse should be $200 + a $75 refundable cleaning fee. (The charge for outside groups was moved, seconded, and passed.)

Marty Cantor made a proposal to use one of our previous signs on the wall outside the APA-L section of the white building to easily designate the white part of our building as also part of LASFS. The Board took a 5-minute recess to examine these signs. After the examination Marty Cantor changed his mind and agreed that the existing signs were in too bad a condition for use but considering how low the sign will be that any sign we put up be covered in plastic that can have graffiti easily cleaned off of it. There was a motion to accept a Tom Safer offer of money for a new sign — this motion passed. Eylat will handle this.

LOSCON 40 presentations. Cathy Beckstead and Christian McGuire made a presentation. The Board voted to accept this application with one abstention. Elayne suggested that in the future we postpone the club voting for LOSCON on the second meeting after second Sunday instead of the current practice of voting on it at the Thursday meeting immediately after the Second Sunday Board Meeting. The suggestion was agreed to by a consensus of the Board.

Open Forum:

Robbie thanked us for the use of LASFS' items at Gallifrey One. (And Galley bought us white-boards).

Thorsen needs a determination as to what supplies are con supplies as cons are taking just about everything in the Kitchen and the supplies cabinet.

Arlene talked about a Movement Class as a programme item. (This will be a 30-minute class).

Milt reported on a meeting at Cal State Northridge.

Ron Garner (who owns the Roswell UFO Museum in Roswell, New Mexico) reported on what he will be doing in Las Vegas (which is moving the Museum to Las Vegas to the Hilton Hotel where the Star Trek exhibit was). He needs social media and internet marketing help.

Our next meeting will be March 11, 2012.


Elayne dealing with contractors.
Gallifrey One is taking away equipment.
Mike Thorsen is sorting kitchen stuff.
Eylat Poliner contact regarding parking and looking at space requirement for outside signage.
Marty looking at boardgaming group
Karl setting up town hall meeting.

Adjournment: The Board adjourned its meeting at 1:18. pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary

Last Updated ( Monday, 11 June 2012 )
< Prev   Next >

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark