December Board Minutes (December 11, 2011) PDF Print E-mail

Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Darnell Coleman, Mike Thorsen, Bill Ellern, Marcia Minsky, Rob Powell, Marty Cantor, Christian McGuire, Arlene Satin, Warren “Whiskey” Johnson, and Elayne Pelz had an excused absence.

 

Members and Guests: Greg Bilan, Joyce Sperling, Michael Pell, Kayla Partridge, Eylat Poliner, Matthew B. Tepper, Joe Zeff, Frank Waller, Tony Benoun, Sherri Benoun, Jeni Burr, Heide Nichols, Tim Trzepacz, Lee Gold, Barry Gold.

 

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:11 am.

Opening Remarks: The Chairman said, Welcome to the December meeting of the Board.

 

Minutes: The minutes of the Meeting of October, 2011, were accepted as corrected. (With one *grump*)

 

New Members: There were no membership applications.

 

Treasurer:  (The treasurer was not present.) We have no money – do not spend it.

 

30 Second Reports:

 

Chairman (Karl Lembke): No report.

 

Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire): No report.

 

Secretary (Marty Cantor): The Secretary has nothing to report.

 

Publications (Marty Cantor): I have a short report from Barry which I will give during the Webmaster section if he is not here by that time. No other publications report at this time.

 

Comptroller (Bill Ellern): No report.

 

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen): Soda units sold: 20,419 units to date, 221 units this period. Soda money: $15,037.75 to date, $204.75 for this period.  We have sufficient paper goods for a month or more – the same with soaps and surface cleaning solutions.

 

Library (Warren “Whiskey” Johnson): The library is pretty much up and running but some things need re-arranging. New shelving will be installed by Jeff. We have new books but nobody has been checking them out. (No report from video curator.)

 

Archives (Marcia Minsky): No report.

 

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): (Elayne returning from London, England.) The Secretary started a discussion of having Reynante’s husband, Greg, doing the work as it is not being done, now. It was moved to investigate services of a qualified professional to fix the heater in the other room. This was seconded and passed with one abstention.

 

AV Equipment (Rob Powell): There were some technical issues with the DVD unit but Rob is doing work on it. Thorsen mentioned that a digital antenna for the television set has  been donated to the club.

 

Events (Darnell Coleman): (Arlene-LOSCON 38) There were 1059 attendees at the con. (Christian- LOSCON 39) has GoHs: Vernor Vinge, Alan White, Yvonne & Lloyd Penney: 162 memberships have been sold so far.

 

Fund-raising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin): We will be starting up our reading programme again, both the adult and the children’s reading programmes. Arlene also again brought up the idea of an on-line art auction (with details to be decided). Rob mentioned that Arlen not forget both E-Bay and Lulu.

 

(Significant Others)

 

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): Marketing has not been meeting because of LOSCON but will again start meeting. Heide wanted the Board to recognize the good job Marketing has done this year.

 

Club President (Marcia Minsky): We have a club – and last Thursday night we had elections  for Procedural Officers and the incumbents were reelected. // The Gift Exchange is this coming 16th and people will be bringing their own food.

 

WEB MASTER (Barry Gold): Thanks to Elayne, Barry now has access to links to past LOSCON web sites and all are on our web site - with one exception.

 

Agenda Items:

 

Eylat Poliner: a proposed LASFS Gala. This was discussed in some detail. It was moved, seconded, and passed that we accept this proposal as proposed with the proviso that changes can be made if necessary. There was one abstention. Eylat and Arlene were appointed to committee this.

 

LASFS Housewarming part two: CLJII by proxy. Karl presented the proposals. Christian feels that this is too early and we should wait until several things are settled. Possibly waiting until our anniversary. We will discuss this in February.

 

Kayla: regarding Granada Hills Computer Club. Possible meeting here. They meet every Tuesday. We decided to investigate this. Kayla and Rob will do this. (A side-discussion of rental rates was again taken up but no decisions were made on this.)

 

Tim updated us on our proposed internet connection. Unfortunately, there was no progress at this time.

 

Open Forum:

 

Darnell expressed pleasure at being on the Board. The Board thanked Darnell for his service on the Board.

 

Christian mentioned next Thursday’s major auction having unusual stuff.

 

Lee Gold said people could come to her house on January 2nd (Rose Parade Watching and buying Blars’ books).

 

Arlene asked about the Computer Room. Rob is attempting to have the room available by the end of this year. (One of the delays has been lack of power to the wall behind the computers.) We then had a discussion about our internet access and how to configure the various computers we have. // There was a side-discussion about our library and it was emphasized that our library is a lending library, not a collecting library. It was pointed out that this direction for this library was decided many years ago.

 

Christian mentioned about the next LOSCON 39 meeting also being about the LOSCON Domesday Book.

 

Our next meeting will be February 12, 2012.

 

Take-Aways:

 

Taken Away from previous meetings:

 

 

Adjournment: The Board adjourned its meeting at 1:01 pm.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Marty Cantor, Board Secretary

Last Updated ( Thursday, 23 February 2012 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark