November Board Minutes (November 13, 2011) PDF Print E-mail
Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Elayne Pelz, Darnell Coleman, Mike Thorsen, Bill Ellern, Marcia Minsky, Rob Powell, Marty Cantor, Christian McGuire, Arlene Satin. Warren “Whiskey” Johnson had an excused absence.

Members and Guests: Michael Pell, Joyce Sperling, Greg Bilan, Michelle Pincus, Timon Trzepacz, Barry Gold, Lee Gold, Joe Zeff, Frank Waller, Jeni Burr, Gavin Claypool, Matthew B. Tepper, Greg Barrett, Samantha Davis, Tony Benoun, Sherri Benoun,  Heide Nichols, Eylat Poliner, Nick Smith, Tom Safer.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11: 10 am. Opening Remarks: The Chairman said, “Welcome, everyone, to the November Board meeting.”

Minutes: The minutes of the Meeting of October, 2011, were accepted as distributed.

New Members: There were applications (and membership fees) from Alan Hawkins II, and Chuck Erickson. They were accepted, unanimously.

Treasurer: We have no money – do not spend it.

30 Second Reports:

Chairman (Karl Lembke): The door to the APA-L Room of our North Hollywood building has  been given to the Eaton Collection, delivered by the Chairman to the Collection.

Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire): What I was going to report has slipped my mind.

Secretary (Marty Cantor): The Secretary has nothing to report – as Secretary, but as Publications Overseer I have taken a variety of photographs of the new library and have forwarded them to Barry Gold and they have been uploaded to our web site. Our library looks as good when photographed as it does in person. And many thanks to the people who did the work in shelving the books.

Publications (Marty Cantor): (See above.)

Comptroller (Bill Ellern): No report.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen): Soda units sold: 20,198 units to date, 381 units this period. Soda money: $14,833.00 to date, $381.00 for this period. Purchased paper towels and plastic bags. We have sufficient supplies of various kinds, with some due to donations.

Library (Warren “Whiskey” Johnson): Whiskey was not here but Karl mentioned a friend of his (who died). Karl donated 7 boxes of his friend’s books to our library. An eight box contained romance novels but this was not going to the library.

Archives (Marcia Minsky): The Board received an e-mail from (name forgotten) needing info about Ray Bradbury from 1930s and 1940s.  It was decided that we would look in our records but records for that time are mostly not in our files. It was pointed out that information of that nature was word of mouth. Darnell mentioned that we have 8 pieces of minutes going from 1936 to 1942. The Secretary mentioned that in that time period Bradbury was not the famous author he was today; and, being just another club member, there was no reason why he would be mentioned in the minutes of the time.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): There was some work done on the roof last Friday but there is still some leakage. Elayne will get back to the contractor. The person who worked on it is currently out of town so the rest of what has to be done is on hiatus. // The couches (via Milt Stevens) have arrived. (There was a round of applause.) We hope the whiteboard will be mounted by next Thursday meeting. Gas: it will be hooked up on the day after LOSCON so that the clubhouse will then be heated. // The molding around Freehafer Hall has been put there so that we can hang picture frames from it.

AV Equipment (Robert Powell): With Rob not yet present, Karl reported that the projector works.

Events (Darnell Coleman): (Arlene- LOSCON 38) The con is about 10 off on membership. The programming is almost finished. The web site has been updated with bios and other things. The membership list has been updated and the pocket programme is soon to be up on the web site. People from Westways will be at the con to do another article. (Christian: reported on LOSCON 39 with him still having to hear from two prospective GoHs.)

Fund-raising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin): Currently on hiatus until after LOSCON. Once LOSCON is over Arlene has plans to make go forward – she just needs the time.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): A few things have been done: the West Hollywood Book Fair and the Woodland Hills “thing” are all that have been done as we have been busy with the upcoming LOSCON. Karl: as a result of the Westways article we have an ad from somebody to be put into programme book and she was sufficiently impressed by the service she got that she announced her intention to put an ad in next year’s programme book, even if the rates go up.

Club President (Marcia Minsky): We have a club – and on the 16th of  December we will have our annual Gift Exchange; and, starting this coming Thursday, we will be announcing it every Thursday until the GE. Joyce Sperling has agreed to run it again this year. (Joyce was thanked.)

WEB MASTER (Barry Gold): There is not much to report since the last report.

Agenda Items: (Arlene Satin):

Cancel BoD meeting for January?: Elayne Pelz brought this up because 5 members cannot be here as they are working on the Anime convention. It was moved, seconded and passed, that there will be no meeting in January. As is usual when a monthly meeting on the Second Sunday of a month is canceled, Marty Cantor asked for his usual permission to open the clubhouse early for the Second Sunday Open House. He was granted the usual permission. (There was a discussion of whether or not we should move Board meetings to other Sundays.)

Rain Gutter: (Bill Ellern): (Bill said that we might as well address other leaks while we’re at it.) Bill felt that the current rain gutter needs modifications. It was decided to give the current contractor be given to fix the roof leak or we will go to a roofer. // There was a discussion of hot water problems and pressure regulators.

Club cleaning: (Arlene Satin): The surface to be cleaned has doubled in size since the cleaning job was bid: we need to put the job up for bidding again – at a rate higher than the current $75 a month. Elayne says we need a list of what and when things need to be done. Elayne will write up a list of what needs to be done – and when.

Open Forum:

Heide Nichols: mentioned a casting agent she knows is now casting for a larger reality show. People should contact Heide about this.

Samantha Davis talked about putting on a Go Tournament. This needs permission for a 2-day tournament. The Board agreed that this would be a good thing.

Elayne feels that the “offspring groups/affiliates” pay $30 each time they use the building. Non-affiliates will pay more with the amounts being decided later. This was put into a form of a motion which passed with 1 abstention. “Outside” group rentals were discussed and it was agreed that LASFS members showing up at their events have to agree to their entrance requirements – and they will be charged rental at a rate higher than what is paid by “offspring groups/affiliates.” Elayne will work out some figures/costs.

Our next meeting will be December 11.


Taken Away from previous meetings:

Christian handling badge for the person who will be picking up stuff from UPS. Christian now has a badge. He will print them out.

(We then had a closed session.)

Adjournment: The Board adjourned its meeting at 12:42 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 14 December 2011 )
< Prev   Next >

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark