July Board Minutes (July 10, 2011) PDF Print E-mail
Written by Marty Cantor   
Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Darnell Coleman, Mike Thorsen, Arlene Satin, Bill Ellern, Elayne Pelz, Marcia Minsky, Rob Powell, Marty Cantor, Christian McGuire. Warren “Whiskey” Johnson, absent at work.

Members and Guests: Greg Bilan, Milt Stevens, Lee Gold, Barry Gold, Tony Benoun, Frank Waller, Joe Zeff, Don Wenner, Sherri Benoun, Jeni Burr, Eylat Poliner, Matthew Tepper, Timon Trzepacz.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:11  am Opening Remarks: The Chairman welcomed all to the penultimate meeting in this venue

Minutes: The minutes of the Meeting of June 12 were accepted as presented.
    The minutes of the Emergency Meeting of June 25 were accepted as amended.

New Members: There were none.

Treasurer:  We have approximately $53,000, give or take. Construction has started and Mike Donahue says they might be finished a week early. Elayne will meet with them on Tuesday. Christian wanted the members to know that they should not be going to the new clubhouse as it interrupts the workmen and slows construction. Members should ask Board members – or just Elayne – for progress reports.

30 Second Reports:

Chairman (Karl Lembke
):  None.

Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire): No report.

Secretary (Marty Cantor):  No report.

Publications (Marty Cantor): I am carrying my camera with me and there will be a photographic essay on the move after it is over. This will include some pre-moving-work-parties  photographs showing regular activities at the North Hollywood clubhouse, the new clubhouse before remodeling, shots on moving day and the work parties during the putting-stuff-away fun time right after the move. (I will need somebody to take photos of the moving at our current clubhouse as I will be at the new clubhouse during the moving.)

Comptroller (Bill Ellern):  Nothing.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen): Soda units sold: 18,840 to date, 239 this period. Soda money: $13,719 to date, $179.25 for this period. Paper products and other supplies sufficient for the month. 

Library (Warren “Whiskey” Johnson) (Video Curator report from CLJII, if available): We are more than half done – and are packing madly. CLJ: videos have been packed into boxes and the stuff from the APA-L Room is in boxes except for what is needed between now and moving day. Thorsen says we should be more careful in what we put where, as the packing of items has turned up important and sometimes lost/forgotten things.

Archives (Marcia Minsky):  Nothing

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): Packing.

AV Equipment (Robert Powell): Finished packing computers.

Events (Darnell Coleman): “LOSCON is still going on.” (Actually, preparations for the next LOSCON are ongoing – the previous con is not still at the hotel.  – ed.) // Arlene reported that, at Westercon, most fan tables were empty. She sold only one membership. We held 3 parties, and they were well attended: we had punch,  and food – and generated lots of good will. We got rid of a lot of the stuff we carried there. (Food was the stuff I just mentioned). // Christian said that LOSCON 39 now has a Fan Guest of Honor – Lloyd and Yvonne Penney. Christian also reported that WESTERCON 64 had the same number of warm bodies as did WESTERCON 63. Christian then said that WESTERCON 66 voting went to the business meeting as a non-legitimate bid had won. At the business meeting the hoax bid was elected by a super-majority vote. Many people were not impressed with the Portland people but they found that the hoax-bid people, Kevin Roche and Andy Tremblay, were well liked.

Fund-raising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin): Nothing to report. // Lee Gold said she needs phrasing on the Prometheus Fund. (Lee mentioned things might be slow for a while because of her eye surgery. Thorsen said he would get this information to her.)

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin)
: Arlene and Elayne had a disagreement about whether the Book Fair had been paid. Book Marks have not yet been ordered. But the new ones will have only the web site on them so that we can use them both here and at the new address. // On June 29 we went to the IMAX Theater, set up our table, and we got some interest from the theater patrons. We talked up LOSCON and LASFS. We took pictures and these will go to our web site and to the IMAX theater.

Club President (Marcia Minsky): We have a club, we are packing it up, we are getting ready to move it, and we had a good auction at her first meeting.

WEB MASTER (Barry Gold): He thanked Marcia for calling some broken links to his attention. He is creating a LASFS Wiki (akin to Wikipedia, but specialized for LASFS). Fans must register before adding or editing content. Putting in Spam means automatic banning from the site.

Agenda Items:

Elayne Pelz
: Building matters, address, carpet, cleaning, etc, etc…. No news. Formal invite to first meeting: We decided that our Grand Opening will be at a later date but there will be some specialness for our first meeting. Eylat volunteered to handle pot luck. // There was a discussion about the parking.
Remove Hall Decoration: this will be removed from the office of Procedural President and given to the Board. This was moved, seconded, and passed. It was also moved, seconded, and passed to give this position to Christian. (Actually, he was appointed by Karl.)

Open Forum:

There was some preliminary discussion about remodeling in the yellow building.
The dumpster cannot be put outside.
Tim wants to hold a D.I.G. meeting here in August. This meeting, being on a Wednesday evening, it was allowed.
Bill brought up some items about the yellow building. It was pointed out to Bill that we will be getting a new telephone number and will no longer have the old one.
There was some discussion of just where should new phone be located. It was decided the answering machine should be in the APA-L Room and the answering phone should be on the opposite side of the wall.

AND … Elayne wants us to stop coming up with reasons to spend the Club’s money.

The next meeting will be on August 14, 2011.

Take-Aways:

Taken Away from previous meetings:

Heide will take care of getting an outside “Code of Conduct” sign.
Christian is handling the getting of a badge for whoever is to pick up stuff from UPS.

Adjournment:  The Board adjourned its meeting at 12:25 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary
Last Updated ( Sunday, 11 September 2011 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark