March 12, 2011 PDF Print E-mail

 

Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Darnell Coleman, Mike Thorsen, Arlene Satin, Bill Ellern, Elayne Pelz, Marcia Minsky, Rob Powell, Marty Cantor, Christian McGuire, Warren “Whiskey” Johnson (excused absence).

Members and Guests
: Michael Pell, Heide Nichols, Sherri Benoun, Tony Benoun, Jeni Burr, Don Wenner, Joyce Sperling, Greg Bilan, Frank Waller, Timon Trzepacz, Greg Barrett, Michelle Pincus.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:05 am

Opening Remarks: None.

Minutes: The February minutes were accepted as corrected.

New Members: There were applications (and membership fees) from Rodney Anderson, Alicia Downey, Guy DeWhitney, and Stuart “Cheshire” Goodman. All were accepted, unanimously

Treasurer:  We have approximately [$}.

30 Second Reports:

Chairman (Karl Lembke):  I will try to keep the meeting short.

Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire): There is no vice to report at this time.

Secretary (Marty Cantor):  No report.

Comptroller (Bill Ellern):  Nothing to report.

Library (Warren “Whiskey” Johnson):  (Excused absence.) Elayne reported that the Michael Mason Foundation has granted the Library $1,000. // We will be converting the old microfiche magazines to digital and will then discard the microfiche material. Jeni asked about selling back issues of magazines. She was told that we no longer had the magazines, themselves, just the microfiche copies. (Cost about $200 for 2 years of magazine runs.)

Archives (Marcia Minsky): We have archives.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): The dental lab did some minor damage when they moved out. // We have no roof leaks and are still looking for a building. The escrow is being extended month to month and Elayne is still working with the realtor.

AV Equipment (Robert Powell):  The projector is quasi-functional. We need to replace either the bulb or the unit. Mike Thorsen, from memory, told us that projectors are much less expensive now. And they are twice as bright for less money – about $400. For twice as much as that there is a hybrid-light engine with a better warrantee, projector and light source, and a much longer life of the light. We moved, seconded, and passed a motion to purchase the best-available video projector as it will be cheaper in the long run, in an amount of up to $900. (There is $600+ already in the Video Projector Fund.) There was 1 abstention. // Rob will be doing some upgrade audio work this Summer on club equipment.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen):  Soda units sold: 17,615 to date, 233 this period. Soda money: $12,799.75 to date, $174.75 for this period. // We are stocked up on all paper goods and plastic bags.

Publications (Marty Cantor): (Appointed today.) Karl reported that the club has a new Amazon Associates ID. // There was a report about Yahoo groups with Marty explaining why it was redundant as there was already a better way for people to get DE PROF delivered to their in-boxes. // Karl reported on the developing LASFS Press. / / The Golds need an apprentice web master, one who is willing to learn Joomla.  [Webstaff note:  AND someone who knows or is willing to learn html.]

Information Officer (Arlene Satin): (Appointed today.) Arlene had no report.

Events (Darnell Coleman): Christian won his bid for the 2012 LOSCON. At 1 pm at end of the month I (Darnell) will be showing Resident Evil. // Arlene reported that the event at Condor went well.

Fund-raising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin): The Book Fair is moving forward – it will be its 10th anniversary and also the re-opening of their West Hollywood library. This will be on Oct. 1 and a large number of people is expected.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): We still need art for new bookmarks. Christian reminded Arlene that she should send 1000 bookmarks to a group in the Bay Area by April 1. // Charlie’s new show at the club came off well.

Club President (Arlene Satin): We have a club and members.

Web Master (Barry Gold): (Reported by Karl) We just received a bunch of identifications for the Dik Daniels photos from Leigh Strother-Vien and are applying them now. Aside from that, there are no changes to report. Darnell is trying to learn Joomla. // Mike Thorsen reported that the Forum has been closed.

Agenda Items:

There are photos of Board members on a display board but it is no longer on display (Darnell Coleman). Darnell wanted his photograph but the Board discussion indicated that we might be updating the display board.

Media Creators meeting: Tim. He asked if this group could meet at club. Elayne reminded all that outside groups pay $30 per meeting as it costs us $38 each time we open the club. This was agreed-to by the Board.

Open Forum:

Elayne says that somebody else, younger than she, should be found to take over the job of treasurer. There is learning involved, as it is not just collecting money at meetings.

The status of the candy machine was brought up by Darnell: the consensus was that Rob should make it disappear. Thorsen said that Patrick said that if he had to move away, the candy machine would then belong to LASFS.

Christian wanted the boxes of stuff in the computer room to be made to go away by Rob if Rob could not save what is good. Tim volunteered to check what is good or not good.

The next meeting will be on April 10, 2011.

Take-Aways:

It was moved and passed that we should set up a hat for Red Cross donations for money for Japan earthquake/tsunami relief. It was also pointed out that the Japanese fans known to us appear to be okay.

The Second Sunday of May will be Mother’s Day. It was moved to tentatively cancel the May meeting.

Taken Away from previous meetings:

Adjournment:  The Board adjourned its meeting at   12:21 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary
Last Updated ( Monday, 11 April 2011 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark