October Board Minutes (10-10-2010) PDF Print E-mail
Board members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Marcia Minsky, Mike Thorsen, Marty Cantor (excused), Christian McGuire, Darnell Coleman, Arlene Satin, Milt Stevens, Elayne Pelz, Rob Powell, Warren “Whiskey” Johnson (excused).

Others in attendance: Greg Bilan, Frank Waller, Lee Gold, Barry Gold, Joe Zeff, Joyce Sperling, Bill Ellern, Michael Pell, Jeni Burr, Tony Benoun, Sheri Benoun, Tim Trzepacz, Scott Tagget, Michelle Pincus, John DeChancie, Peggy Newvine.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:18 AM, but it was moved and seconded that it be considered to have started at 10:10:10 AM. Minutes: Emailed out and accepted as sent.

New Members: Greg Barnes, Chris Cresciman, both accepted without
discussion.

Treasurer: There is approximately [deleted] in the treasury.

30-second reports

Chairman (Karl Lembke): no report

Vice Chairman (Mike Thorsen): Mike was asked by Spike TV if we knew of any scientists interested in discussing re-animation of the dead. Arlene said she'd discuss this in her report. // As Quartermaster he's also keeping the Big Bottle of Tylenol under lock and key to keep them from evaporating too quickly. Joe Zeff requested that something be provided for those fen that don't get any benefit from Tylenol; generic ibuprofen was offered and accepted.. Christian said that a comprehensive first aid kit will be available for conventions, but kept in storage to prevent loss of supplies. The soda machine has taken in $302.25 this month.

Secretary (Marty Cantor): Marty is stuck at home dealing with pipe dreams. ((The Secretary adds that it would have been [sewer] pipe nightmares except that it started just before he was to leave for the Board meeting.))

Comptroller (Christian McGuire): There are no trolls that need to be comped.

Library (Warren “Whiskey” Johnson) The librarian is in Las Vegas, and we'll never know what happened.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): As we're trying to sell the building, Elayne is limiting repairs to the most urgent, as whoever buys our current clubhouse will either remodel the building or tear it down. She's also checked out the building in Van Nuys, finding it totally unacceptable.

Audio/video (Rob Powell): Rob says the AV equipment is working, and was used for the program after the most recent meeting.

Publications (Milt Stevens): Milt has delivered hundreds of scanned photos to the webmaster. We also have a number of VHS videos, but none are good enough quality for the web site. One photo has been removed from the web site after the fan in the picture requested that it be taken down.

Events (Marcia Minsky): The only significant event at the moment is LOSCON.

Fundraising (Arlene Satin): The Barnes and Noble book fair will be this Wednesday, and Arlene would appreciate having fans show up and help out. // ISTA is promoting its 30th anniversary by sending out free tickets for screening. // Arlene will follow up on Spike TV's request.

Archive Committee (Darnell Coleman): The committee recently spent two hours on the LOSCON archives, organizing the material and discarding duplicates.

A group of prominent fans from around the globe, three of whom are James Bacon (Irish TAFF winner), Helen Montgomery (Chicon & Board), and Chris Garcia (three-time Hugo nominee and TAFF winner) are planning to give out several pallet loads of used books at Wondercon to promote literary fandom and the Reno Worldcon, in April, and are looking for donations. As this is over three months away, it was moved to table the discussion until January. // ((At this point the Board went into a closed meeting.))

The President of the LASFS will announce to meetings that “Your mother doesn't live here”

We need to start thinking about the work party idea.

Take-aways

The secretary is to send a letter of thanks to Dik Daniels' sister.

The Barnes and Noble Book Fair is on Wednesday, and our contact with B&N is through Arlene Satin.

The archive committee is digitizing archive material.

The President will bring up chairleading and clean-up after self at meetings.

The Gift Exchange will be on December 17 and is being headed by Joyce Sperling.

The meeting adjourned at 12:55 pm.

Minutes taken by Joe Zeff
and respectfully submitted by Marty Cantor,
Board Secretary
(with many thanks to Joe Zeff)
Last Updated ( Thursday, 18 November 2010 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark