Board Minutes July 11, 2010 PDF Print E-mail
Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Darnell Coleman, Mike Thorsen, Arlene Satin, Milt Stevens, Elayne Pelz, Marcia Minsky, Christian McGuire, Rob Powell, Marty Cantor. There is one vacant position on the Board.

Members and Guests: Greg Bilan, Kevin Dodds, Joe Zeff, Barry Gold, Lee Gold, Michelle Pincus, Tony Benoun, Sherri Benoun, Heide Nicolls, Jeni Burr, Sundance, Tim Trzepacz, Mike Donahue, Don Wenner, Frank

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:00 am.

Opening Remarks: The Chairman noted a Special Order of Business, the passing of Board member, Bob Null. Minutes: The June minutes were accepted as corrected.

New Members: We had a membership application from Harry Turtledove. This was passed with interesting comments, some of which were on the application.

Treasurer: Our Budget will be discussed later in the meeting.

30 Second Reports (Board Members)

Chairman (Karl Lembke):  No report.

Vice Chairman (Bob Null):  (Excused absence.)

Secretary (Marty Cantor):  I will talk about the Bob Null Memorial later in the meeting.

Comptroller (Christian McGuire):  No report.

Library (Darnell Coleman):  No report.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz):  Nothing new – but I will have the roofer here next week for estimating the cost of fixing the leak in the front building roof.

AV Equipment (Robert Powell): The AV machine is working.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen):  Soda units sold: 13,854 to date, 374 this period. Soda money: $10,541.00 to date, $280.00 for this period. Still have paper supplies. Manual accounting being done because machine is not calculating correctly. (Last month’s re-calculated amounts were put into the June minutes.)

Publications (Milt Stevens): Milt is still scanning items for the web site and Fanac.org. LOSCONs 15-22 videoscans have been acquired, and we should get them digitized – Milt has these items in his car and will give them to Elayne (who has the machine which can do the digitizing). Barry Gold is still working on the Dik Daniels photos. Lee Gold says that they are still getting identifications of unknown people on photos.

Events (Marcia Minsky): Westercon 63 has happened. // There will be a Bob Null Memorial on August 14. LOSCON will be in November.

Fundraising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin): There is not a whole lot to report. Barnes and Noble will be contacted later because of Westercon business. The Book Faire will give us the same table we had before (and that was a good location). There will soon be a private meeting with West Hollywood officials. We will have good presence at the Book Faire. Zazzle.com has had only one sale to date – from Milt.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): Children’s reading programme is on-going. There is also an adult reading programme. This month’s adult reading will be the Hugo nominees reading, as will be the reading in August, and the readings will be subbing for Marketing committee meetings. The next Marketing committee meeting will be in September.

Club President (Arlene Satin): There is nothing to report right now.

Agenda Items:

Special election: Karl said our by-laws required a special election to be held within 13 weeks of a vacancy. There was a discussion of how to notify the members, mostly talking about postcard versus e-mail. The upshot is that Elayne will send out postcards. The date of the election was picked, August 12, 2010. // Mike Thorsen was elected as vice-chairman of the Board to succeed the deceased Bob Null. This was passed 9 to 0, with one abstention. // The Board discussed the first draught of the DE PROFUNDIS Special Edition which Marty had distributed to members. A typo was found (and corrected), and two additions were recommended (and put in).

Budget Review: Elayne has no idea, yet, about cost of roof repair on the front building – and asked Thorsen to belay front building lighting. Thorsen said we might have people donate light fixtures and have those monies credited to their Sainthood. Christian asked Thorsen to find out the costs of the fixtures, and Mike said he would purchase one as an example and would put that before club as a model. // Donations, so far, are higher than estimated; dues and fundraising are on par.  The budget was accepted and passed unanimously.

The vending machine in the front building was discussed: the peanut section is turning into a biosphere. Rob has been trying to get this solved but is having problems getting a key to the lock. It was moved to thank Patrick for the use of these machines but that he should take them back. This was passed with one abstention.

Archives:  Christian wants to take over the archives. With no objections, this was done.

The Domesday Committee meeting was again canceled, but this time not by Christian.

Rob has gotten several components for lights in the east driveway, but he has been too busy to take care of the Monstro screening. Marcia reported that all of the kittens living under Monstro have been removed.

Open Forum: .

Heide asked who is in charge of Hall Decorations. No answer was recorded.

Greg wanted to talk about a/the LOSCON banner. There is a banner, already, but it must be searched for.

The next meeting will be on August 8.

CLOSED SESSION.

Take-Aways:
Front building roof:  Elayne Pelz
Barnes & Noble:  Arlene Satin
Vending Machine Issue:  Rob Powell

Adjournment:  The Board adjourned its meeting at 12:17 pm

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary
Last Updated ( Thursday, 19 August 2010 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark