April Board Minutes (April 11, 2010) PDF Print E-mail

Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Darnell Coleman, Mike Thorsen, Bob Null, Arlene Satin, Milt Stevens, Elayne Pelz, Marcia Minsky, Christian McGuire (excused absence), Rob Powell, Marty Cantor.

Members and Guests: Tim Trzepacs, Jeni Burr, Len Moffatt, June Moffatt, Greg Bilan, Jeni Burr, Dave Willis, Bond Halbert, Don Wenner, Lee Gold, Barry Gold, Eytan Kollin, Heide Nicolls, Michelle Pincus, Frank Waller, Joan Stewart, Tony Benoun, Sherri Benoun, Giovanna Brantley, Ed Hooper.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:10 am. Opening Remarks: There were none, this time.

Minutes: The March minutes were accepted as presented.  

New Members: There were three new members who had paid their application fee to join the society: Peter Brothers, Uriah Carr, Rob Myers. All three were accepted unanimously.

Treasurer: There is $$$ on hand, with the large drop in the amount due to our new air conditioning units.

30 Second Reports
(Board Members)

Chairman (Karl Lembke):  .Nothing much to report

Vice Chairman (Bob Null):  The club computer is fine. Also, nobody showed up on time for the work party. Elayne mentioned that one person turned up later, after Bob had left.

Secretary (Marty Cantor):  There was nothing to report.

Comptroller (Christian McGuire):  Christian is at a convention.

Library (Darnell Coleman):  Darnell was not here at the first call for his report but he gave his report after he got to the meeting. Elayne mentioned that the Hugo nominees are being acquired. Darnell mentioned that all magazines before 2000 are going into our storage locker. Karl read from an e-mail posting sent to him from Charlie Jackson, our Video Curator: “I’ve been buying DVDs at discount to save money. Among the recent acquisitions are titles like Goliath and the Dragon and Danger: Diabolik. I have been sorting through the Ackerman archive boxes, and am now 20% through the process. As Programming, I am trying to get in touch with locals among the Hugo nominees for visits to the club in May and July.”

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz):  The new air conditioner is here. The new thermostat is a problem to operate (as it is different from the old one) so we will have to look at the instruction booklet to figure it out. Also, there will be a new maintenance contract with a 10-year warrantee.

AV Equipment (Robert Powell):  There is no change on the new bulb being reported being dim even though, on checking, it does not seem to be so.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen):  Soda units sold: 15,260 to date, 319 this period. Soda money: $1034.00 to date, $293.25 this period. Paper goods & cleaning supplies are okay, and no new supplies of this kind are needed at the present time.

Publications (Milt Stevens):  .I received a request for certain APA-L disties for some research. The poster stopped sending e-mails before the conversation was finished. // Photoshop Elements will do a good job in making Dik Daniels photos look better. // Marty mentioned that there will be a one-issue, new layout for De Profundis. Page one, instead of being the calendar and its information (which will be put on page two for this issue) will be a full-page advertisement for the LASFS goods at Zazzle.com. // Barry said the new photos were now up at our web site. Also, please report web problems to the webmaster. And he is now moving the bulletin board to the main web site. We now have an increase in web space at no additional cost from 1 gig to 15 gig. Lee mentioned people keep identifying unknown people on Daniels’ photos.

Events (Marcia Minsky): .Nothing on my plate at the moment. Heide suggested a few things for LOSCON, but this is Scott Beckstead’s responsibility, not Marcia’s, and things have not yet been set.

Fundraising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin):  Arlene is working on the ad for Zazzle.com for De Profundis.  She needs Zazzle display material for the display we have at IMAX. There is good art at the Zazzle.com site.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): We had two events at the Irvine IMAX theater this past month, and we are being invited back to this Irvine theatre. We are looking to see if there are local theatres which will allow us to put a table in their lobbies. // Rich Moyer/animation discussion - Arlene has a proposal from him – a storyboard. This advertises us, but gives exposure for him. /*/ The West Hollywood Book Fair is coming up, soon. We will need volunteers for this – and a budget. Rob said there were equipment issues last year, and he wanted Arlene to remind him of which ones they were so that we can proactively take care of them this year.

Club President (Christian McGuire): Christian was not here; however, as Karl took the minutes of that meeting, he reported that the proposal to not allow discussion of Global Warming  at the Thursday meeting was tabled until the 3700th meeting, effectively killing it. Also, at this time Karl welcomed LASFS’ Special Advisors, Len and June Moffatt.

Agenda Items:

Neverending Wireless (Arlene Satin). Bond presented two different ideas for the site & Eytan added to it. Firstly, he wants to ask for an internet connection at the club. Permission was needed to request help for a map of science fiction related sites in our area and also asking for permission (on their web site) to request donations to pay for the internet connection. All dollar donations will go into the internet connection charges, with no monies going to neverendingpanel.com. Elayne pointed out that there is no phone connection to the back building and suggested two years of internet rent before it starts. Eytan said if the map does not sell, they would cut off the project. Bond wants a cable line as a phone line is not good enough. Marty pointed out that he will give ad space mention in De Prof. Bond also wants to run one panel at a regular Thursday meeting, but Marty pointed out that Charlie Jackson is the person to take care of this as it is a programme item which is handled by him in conjunction with the Procedural President and is not a Board matter. Rob requested a formal proposal with details and this was the sense of the Board members. Rob made a motion about the internet proposal including how it will keep going, monetarily. We do not want the club to have to spend any money on this. There was an in-depth discussion of this proposal. The motion was seconded but it was not brought up for a vote.
 
Gaming Group (Michele Pincus): A D&D group would like to meet here every Friday night, with the D&Ders joining the club as regular members. The Fridays would be open to everybody like now. The issue really is, should we open every Friday night for all club members as we used to do but stopped doing this, considering the cost of opening the club. Elayne said that it really should not be an issue as this was a service to members as more members wanted this social activity. Michelle mentioned that she could collect dues. Arlene mentioned that we are just proposing to go back to the way it was.  Elayne moved that the club be opened every Friday evening for social activities and this was passed. Dave Willis thanked the club for the way the Board is running things. Milt brought up the possibility of moving Thursday night meetings to Friday nights but there was little follow-up discussion of this.  

There was also a discussion of bringing back renters. Elayne said that some regular groups of club members are now paying some rent after 6 months of free rent, but there is no chance of renting the clubhouse to outside renters.

Open Forum: .

Elayne said we had a proposal costing $1800 to rewire the front building so that all electrical items can be run at the same time without blowing circuits. Moved, seconded, and passed with one abstention.

The next meeting will be on June 13.

Marty requested permission to open the May Second Sunday Open House at Noon instead of the usual 2 pm, and this was passed. There was some discussion of there being no need for these requests for when there is no Board meeting on that day but both Marty and many Board members felt that making the request was a Ghood Thing.

Take-Aways:

WesterChord meeting 5/2/10 at clubhouse.
Arlene – link exchange.
Marcia Minsky will programme the new thermostats for both buildings.
Marty will put Zazzle.com ad into De Prof.
Bulletin board is changing domain.
Karl will mention to Christian to put before the club the map need for cool sites.
Rob will ramrod the cleaning of Monstro.
Elayne is doing electrical.
Heide wants us to respect code of conduct signs that will be put up around the club.

Adjournment:  The Board adjourned its meeting at  12:42 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary
Last Updated ( Monday, 14 June 2010 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark