March Board Minutes March 14, 2010 PDF Print E-mail
Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Darnell Coleman, Mike Thorsen, Bob Null, Arlene Satin, Milt Stevens, Elayne Pelz, Marcia Minsky, Christian McGuire, Rob Powell, Marty Cantor.

Members and Guests
: Michael Pell, Bill Ellern, Joe Zeff, Judy Zeff, Sherri Benoun, Tony Benoun, Tim Trzepacz, Michelle Pincus, Tom Safer, Greg Barrett, Jeni Burr.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:12 am. Opening Remarks: The Chairman of the Board, Karl Lembke, wished us a Happy Saint Patrick’s Day coming up.

Minutes: The February minutes were accepted as corrected.

New Members: The following people have filled out the proper documentation and have paid the requisite $5.00: Joni Le Babaqui, Andrew Johnston, Theresa Steward, Rojo A McCaw, and Dani Kollin. All were unanimously passed.

Treasurer: We have money, but do not spend it. We are expecting a yearly dues influx this month.

30 Second Reports (Board Members)

Chairman (Karl Lembke):  The Chairman had no report but said that Tadao recommends a different contact name for Archivist and recommends Bob Null for the job. Send stuff right now to Barry.

Vice Chairman (Bob Null):  The Vice-Chairman had no report but there was a discussion amongst Board members about the position of Archivist.

Secretary (Marty Cantor):  The Secretary had no report.

Comptroller (Christian McGuire): The missing tax forms are no longer missing and the Treasurer is now doing the taxes.

Library (Darnell Coleman):  Our library has gotten a new wireless mouse and the Chairman recommended that the library should get some spare batteries as they will probably soon be needed.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz):  Rob is looking into the subject of gutters. But there are no new leaks and there is nothing else to report except for the air conditioners which we will discuss later. Lee Gold recommended that we look into flashing instead of gutters.

AV Equipment (Robert Powell):  It appears to people that the new projector bulb is beginning to grow dim – he will check the rest of the equipment to see if there is another problem.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen):  Soda units sold: 14,924 to date, 323 this period. Soda money: $1010.00 to date, $242 this period. No paper or other supplies needed to be purchased. Virtually all diet soda had to be replaced because virtually all went sour at the same time. Diet Pepsi is no longer available because we sold very little of it and the rest went sour so we did not replace it. The candy machine was recently restocked. (The machine took in about $7 in quarters, a money-losing proposition, but it is still liked by some members.)

Publications (Milt Stevens)
:  De Prof is running as usual. About 1500 Dik Daniels photos, so far, have been turned in to the webmaster and there are more to go. Color correction is needed on some photos. // Lee says we saved $10 by not renewing one site and we will use the money to get more web space, increasing our web site from 1 gig to 5 gigs. // There are some problems with, but all will be taken care of. // APA-L pdfs will eventually be taken to some place off-site. Karl Lembke was unanimously (and officially) thanked for his work in recording APA-L. // There was a discussion about meeting minutes, De Profundis copies on paper (including the lack of many early copies), and what was on-line as pdfs. Bob and Marty also mentioned Shaggies. // Milt also mentioned some strange e-mail postings. // Lee Gold mentioned that Dik Daniels’ sister has mentioned that she has some “strange” things that she will eventually send to us.

Events (Marcia Minsky): We had a Memorial for Ken Porter and Phil Castora last Sunday. Michelle gave us a report on this Memorial. No one from either family showed up, but it was a successful event with lots of food and much conversation about both Ken and Phil. Christian reported on WesterChord, and mentioned the May meeting at the LASFS clubhouse on Sunday, May 2, at 11:00 am.

Fundraising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin
):  Karl congratulated Arlene on winning her LOSCON bid. Arlene mentioned our goods on We got lots of art for these goods. One art piece was rejected for being offensive. Arlene thanked Mario for his art. Brad Foster wanted us to use only one of the many items Milt took from fanzines, so Arlene removed the other pieces of art.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): There will be reading auditions on March 26 at the clubhouse. On March 27 the marketing team will be at the Imax Theatre in Orange County. The Eaton Collection will be doing a neverendingpanel remote on Thursday. Arlene mentioned the web site for new authors which is now linked to our web site and she also mentioned a September Independent Book Festival for this group.

Club President (Christian McGuire): Vice-president Rob ran the last meeting and pissed off some people and was thanked for this by President Christian. Christian said that, sadly, he was not impeached during his absence.

Agenda Items:

AC/Heating. Elayne reported on our twice-yearly inspection. Both units are so old and decrepit that our service contractors will no longer work on them. Replacement units will cost about $15,000. Our current units are badly leaking. Michelle mentioned a possible donation of two used ac units. Lee gave Elayne the name of her ac people. Joe mentioned a ground unit but Elayne said that would cost more because a ground unit would require re-ducting the buildings. It was moved, seconded, and passed to authorize the spending of up to $15,000 on 2 new air conditioning units.

Michelle would like to run a lost LOSCON for $20. There will be other amounts for different positions. This, of course, is an imaginary con as a fundraiser for the club. It will be called LOSTCON. The Tucker Hotel was described and recommended as a place to hold this con. It was moved, seconded, and passed - as long as it costs the club nothing. There was one nay and one abstention.

Open Forum: .

Rob feels that we should organize and clean Monstro. This will be done on May 22 & 23. Karl said we should plan this out in advance and made some recommendations. Rob was appointed as chair of the committee to do this.

Darnell says that our membership list should be updated - Lee says they update this each month on our web site if she gets the information.

Tom Safer reported he had an all-day film screening on Feb. 27. Turned over $100 from that event (with 5 people in attendance). He would like to do this again. With no objection from the Board, this was passed with one abstention. Tom should work out a date with Treasurer.


Heating and ac – Elayne will get estimates and talk to Michelle about specs. Michelle will be doing ac and getting info about LOSTCON. Rob will work about getting info on gutters. Domain names: Tim will continue his work on that.

The next meeting of the Board is April 11. There will be no Board meeting in May

Adjournment:  The Board adjourned its meeting at 12:33 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Marty Cantor, Board Secretary
Last Updated ( Monday, 12 April 2010 )
< Prev   Next >

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark