February Board Minutes PDF Print E-mail
February 14, 2010

Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Darnell Coleman, Mike Thorsen, Bob Null, Arlene Satin, Milt Stevens, Elayne Pelz, Marcia Minsky, Christian McGuire, Rob Powell, Marty Cantor.

Members and Guests: Jeni Burr, Tony Benoun, Sherri Benoun, Michael Pell, Joyce Sperling, Michelle Pincus, Greg Bilan, Fred Lazzelle, Bill Ellern, Joe Zeff, Judy Zeff, Toni Benoun, Sherri Benoun, Robbie Bourget, Rick Bond, Martin Young, Don Wenner, MaryAnn Canfield, John DeChancie, Tim Trzepacz.

Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:15.

Opening Remarks: Chairman Karl Lembke offered a Happy Valentine's Day & Happy Chinese New Year to all.

Minutes: The December minutes were accepted as corrected.

Election of Board Officers: The Board elected its officers as follows:
                Chairman: Karl Lembke
                Vice Chairman: Bob Null
                Secretary: Marty Cantor
                Comptroller: Christian McGuire

New Members: The following people have filled out the proper documentation and have paid the requisite $5.00: Samantha Davis, Kevin Anderson, Connor Foss, and Julie Scott. All were unanimously passed.

Treasurer: We have money; do not spend it. There will be more on the budget at the end of the meeting.

30 Second Reports (Board Members)

Chairman (Karl Lembke):  No report.

Vice Chairman (Bob Null):  No report, and the club’s computers are working okay.

Secretary - Outgoing (Darnell Coleman):  Darnell thanked the Board, and the Board applauded his service as Secretary for the past year.

Secretary - Incoming (Marty Cantor): Marty Cantor thanked the Board for his election and mentioned that copies of the minutes will be put into the files as he once wrote into the by-laws of the club.

Comptroller (Christian McGuire): Nothing to report.

Library (Darnell Coleman): Darnell asked to take over this oversight position, and Elayne enthusiastically agreed.

Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): Elayne offered to take over this vacant position, and there was no objection. She reported that both parts of the roof, which had been leaking, have been fixed.

AV Equipment (Robert Powell): The AV equipment is working, and Rob has shown up at events to give people a chance to complain about things which might not be working.

Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen):  Soda units sold: 14,618 to date, 629 this period. Soda money: $9,864.00 to date, $463.00 this period. Paper goods were recently purchased.

Publications (Milt Stevens): Milt asked about increasing the quality of the photos from the Dik Daniels estate we just uploaded to our web site. Milt also mentioned that we may need more space for them. // Marty mentioned the importance of Bill Rotsler to LASFS and that Rotsler.com is moribund but is still owned by Michael Bernstein. He has sent off an e-mail posting to Mr. Bernstein asking about Mr. Bernstein’s plan for the web site. He also would like the return – if possible – of the pound and a half of Rotsler illos he once sent for the site but that has never been uploaded there. // Tim said we have put 2 of 3 names into our umbrella site: lasfs.org.

Events (Marcia Minsky): LOSCON 36 turned over to LASFS $6880.77. LOSCON 37 had its first meeting. Christian reported on Westercon 63/ConChord 23 (WesterChord) and mentioned that there will be a meeting for volunteers on May 2 at the clubhouse at 11 am.

Fundraising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin): Zazzle.com has available art – and there have been good comments on the art we have on the site.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin): There will be reading auditions on March 26. There was a meeting at the West Hollywood City Hall for the West Hollywood Book Fair, and the organizers want us to be more involved in the event. Arlene said more people can help.

Club President (Christian McGuire): No report.

Agenda Items:

The Roof – The repairs were mentioned by Elayne and the Secretary.

LOSCON bids: Arlene Satin, Bid Chair; Martin Young, Vice Chair; Treasurer, Elayne Pelz; Christian McGuire, Joyce Hooper, Kim Brown, Hotel Liaisons: this bid was passed. Greg Bilan, Bid Chair, Elayne Pelz, Treasurer, Christian McGuire, Hotel Liaison: This bid was passed with the proviso that the bid chair have a written Weapons Policy by next week when the club will be voting on the bids. Both bids were forwarded to the club and there will be a presentation next Thursday.

NeverEndingPanel.com: Christian reminded the Board of the 3-month test of this programme item. One person (who was not in the audience) has complained about not being able to use the soda machine during the NeverEndingPanel because the machine was loud when used and the noise was disruptive to the Panel. The NeverEndingPanel was discussed by several people – and it was pointed out that this problem with the use of the soda machine during the Panel was rare as most members attending the Thursday meeting showed up later in the evening, after the Panel was over. Bond gave a progress report on the NeverEndingPanel. Christian moved that we continue NeverEndingPanel until the end of the year and this was passed with one abstention. Christian moved – and this was passed – allowing the NeverEndingPanel to use club equipment.

The Budget: The loss this past year was less than the previous year – we lost $3600. The proposed Budget was discussed, topic by topic, and also various general budget items were brought up. Do we still want to spend $250 for protection on showing movies? It was agreed that we should do it. Closing on Fridays is not saving us any money that we can determine. (Christian moved and we passed: We will now be open on any 5th Friday.) The Board went over the budget, line by line, attempting to lower expenses. Elayne will start creating certificates for club levels other than Patron Saint in an attempt to interest club members in contributing monies at Award levels lower than that of Patron Saint.. It was pointed out that we should send fund-raising ideas to Arlene. Christian moved to approve the budget as amended, and this passed with one abstention. Arlene talked about getting more support from Board members for doing marketing things. Elayne said we should all be thinking about how to raise money.

Open Forum: 

 

Christian suggested we think about not holding a Board meeting in May on Mother’s Day and then he made the appropriate motion: it passed with one member opposed and two abstentions.

Enigma is the UCLA sf club. Darnell went to two Enigma meetings – they have no issue with us (as was reported 7 months ago). Darnell was appointed liaison to Enigma.

Robbie asked for various items for Gallifrey One as per usual, and it was moved by Christian to do this. This was passed unanimously. Robbie said Galley will give us $500 for the use of this equipment. Christian asked the same for Westercon, and this was moved, seconded, and passed unanimously.

The next meeting will be March 14.

Take-Aways: President: Pass along to the membership that they should not eat the 2nd Sunday food stored in the APA-L room, the Front Building fridge, or the Quartermaster drawers in the file cabinet under the Flatscreen TV -- and please honor our Code of Conduct. The President will talk to the membership about the LASFS donation levels other than Patron Saint. He will also mention Zazzle.com to the membership.

Adjournment:  The Board adjourned its meeting

Last Updated ( Monday, 15 March 2010 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark