Board of Directors March 2009 PDF Print E-mail
Board Members: Board Members in attendance- In attendance were Board Members: Karl Lembke, Bob Null, Darnell Coleman, Christian McGuire, Marcia Minsky, Tadao Tomomatsu, Arlene Satin, Milt Stevens, Mike Thorsen, and Robert Powell.

Regular members and others: Michael Pell, Heide Nichols, Sherri Benoun, Tony Benoun, Greg Bilan, Marty Cantor, Joe Zeff,  Joyce Sperling, BillEllern, Michelle Pincus. Jennifer Burr,  Warren Johnson, Bill Ellern, Tom Safer, Patrick Bradley, Ann Morrel

Call to Order at 11:11pm
Opening remarks
Minutes approved with corrections.
New Members: Elayne is not here so any paperwork for new members for approval.
Treasurer  Excused absent) later she came into the meeting.

30 Second Reports
(Board members)
   Chairman (Karl Lembke)- No special report
   Vice Chairman (Bob Null)- No report
   Secretary (Darnell Coleman)  At the end of the minutes I will give the Board members that helped me.
   Comptroller (Christian McGuire)- Nothing
   Library (Elayne Pelz): Excused absence- Warren Johnson is
approved for Library.
   Archives (Bob Null) Pubs computer is working fine, our clocks go through batteries. Batteries do get old                          

   The librarian reports buying books written by the Loscon 36 Guests of Honor:  Steven Barnes and Tananarive Due.
   Physical Plant (Tadao Tomomatsu): Elayne has mentioned that the roofers fixed the APA-L room and the plumbers will be called to fix the front restroom. The refrigerator will be kept on at a lower cost mode. We have lost some carts and wondered what happened to them. We are calling people to find out what happened to the carts. Bob Null said we should place a name on the cart. Joyce said that sometimes she does this, but the carts are still lost.

   AV Equipment (Robert Powell)- AV remote for slide projector is done

   Quartermaster- We need to buy bags, report given to Secretary
   The Chairman said the vending machine looks well, and the money was changed.
   Publications (Milt Stevens)-Milt said that Barry Gold sent an email to see if the board gets email individually most of the board made a reply individually saying they have received email.

The chairman-Lee Gold sent an email around that the engine of the website has an issue with cascading style sheet.  [There is a comment on this statement.  See Minutes/Menace Comments.


Milt Stevens said someone is going to get Dik Daniels convention pictures. Lee Gold is picking them up. These pictures will go on LASFS website and Fanac.org.  De Profundus. Marty is doing an unofficial subscription service. We finance 20 sheets for the registrar. Milt Stevens moved that the club pays for 20 copies of the paper. Marty will provide three copies for the club for archives. The motion was withdrawn.

Tadao-LASFS domain names have been up to date.

No response from Physics group or the Terry Pratchett group.

Elayne will donate a dollar for 20 copies of the first page of the paper.

Events (Marcia Minsky)-Loscon is moving right along now has 480 members, Westercon moving right along.

75th anniversary is going to be at the Castaways in Burbank on October 25th, in the Lagoon Room.

La La Con. The date is on June for it to start. La La Con would not be interfering with anything. Save up your money for the weekend relaxation con.

Fundraising and Recruitment (Arlene Satin)- Arlene has made the Art release form in email form. Arlene will work on the Zazzle.com stuff like the LOGO and Fannish artwork. This should be up in June. If we were selling over $1000.00 of stuff given, we would have to pay the tax. The question came up - is the $100.00 on stuff we get, but do we pay taxes on the LOGO made on cups
and shirts. This will be moved for clarification from Elayne.

(Significant Others)

Marketing Committee (Arlene Satin)-The Book Faire we will send paperwork and work with Elayne to get 2 booths at $150.00.  We need to update marketing stuff because the marketing stuff is old. So the marketing committee is looking for nice stuff to put on the marketing table.

We need to direct people to the website. Arlene is sending stuff out on the website. I would start a fan gallery to show artwork done by fine artists. She will discuss with Milt and Barry.
Marty said that De Profundus will operate as an official paper even though it’s not.
Christian McGuire Motioned that the President should tell the general membership about the website.

Patrick Bradley- Fundraiser about internet sales bookcrossing.com.  A book would be marked, and when people get the book it is noted so it’s like Geocaching for books.
We should make a website to do Science Fiction and Fantasy.  The idea is to make a for-profit website. We enroll people into the website. This will promote a long-term use of the website.
Christian- Do we need people who will work on the site.
Patrick said he will work the website for a year.
Bill Ellern- This should be made as a charitable enterprise. Joe Zeff-  Do you know how many hits the site will get?  My site only got a 4% hit rate. Marcia got no hits.
Arlene-The cost of labels is $25.00 for how many labels. Patrick replied the starter kit. 25 book labels are a dollar a piece. Question was brought up whether the site would be a money-making venture or some kind of nonprofit venture that will help the club.
Marty asked Patrick if he was able to do the work to make the business alone because of finances.
Patrick called the site Science Fiction Book Crossing but this name can be changed,
Tadao said there was a time that we gave a lot of books out and no one came to the group, discussion, Tadao thanked Patrick for bringing this up but at the next meeting to bring a business proposal to show us.
Coleman’s objection- The Board won’t have enough hits on the site.
Milt’s objection - We don’t have enough workers. Patrick said we will have enough workers if we offer paid compensation, whether the workers are of LASFS or not.
Motion - This was seconded that the motion for working name Science Fiction Book Crossings.com to be brought back to the Board next month.
Tentative withdrawal of motion. But there was a request of how interested was the board to continue the idea of the website.. 4 objection and 3 abstained, 2 yes Christian’s objection- not enough time for these to be done.
Marcia- Not enough hits will be done on the site.
The Chairman decided to table the website for the next meeting.

Tadao requested a closed door session started 1:05, ended 1:35pm

Agenda Items

Tom Safer had a donation for his film screening event last week which was given to Christian to Elayne.  100.00 was the donation. Either the forth Saturday July or August. April 11th and May 9th.
Motion that Tom could have a date for movie 8-1-1, Elayne will set the days.

Open Forum:

Geocaching event requested by Patrick Bradley: requested time 8am-3pm Saturday May 30th.   Motion passed unanimous.

Bill Ellern had a request for membership which was given to Elayne.

Take-A ways:

Club president will promote the LASFS website

The board is available to take on issues the member.

Zazzle.com,

Adjournment: 1:55PM

Tadao wanted it noted that he did not leave the meeting.

Special thanks to: Christian McGuire, Tadao Tomomatsu


Last Updated ( Monday, 13 July 2009 )
 
< Prev   Next >





Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
NO ACCOUNT YET? Select "Register" on the menu at the bottom of this page.

Please read our "Welcome Message" and "User's Guide" before trying to submit a post.

LASFS Bookmark (2013 edition)

LASFS Bookmark