Board of Directors meeting, January 11, 2009 PDF Print E-mail
Karl Lembke, Chairman
Darnell Coleman, Secretary
Board Members in attendance: In attendance were Karl Lembke, Bob Null, Darnell Coleman, Elayne Pelz, Bill Ellern, Christian McGuire, Marcia Minsky, Tadao Tomomatsu, Arlene Satin, Milt Stevens, Mike Thorsen.

Regular Members in attendance: Barry and Lee Gold, Heide Nichols, Greg Barrett, Sherri Benoun, Tony Benoun, Heidi Nichols, Greg Bilan, Marty Cantor, Fred Lazzelle, Joe Zeff, Judy Zeff. Meeting started at 11:15. Karl Lembke welcomed Robert Powell to the Board. The minutes were approved with corrections. The Board held elections for its Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Comptroller, A Point of Order was raised: What happens if a Board member is voted out as a Board officer by the Board? Answer: they are given a non-elected position on the Board.

Karl read the duties of Comptroller and Christian McGuire was elected as Comptroller. The other Board positions were filled by their incumbents.

Chairman: The agenda was released later than expected. The Chairman asked Robert to do events. Robert Powell asked about the position, then refused the appointment.  Marcia Minsky worked out this plan:  She left the Audio-Visual position which was given to Rober,t and the Event position was given to her.

Vice Chairman: Nothing to report.

Secretary: Nothing to report.

Audio-Visual: Mike Thorsen checked prices at Fry’s, and he discovered that while VHS/DVD recorders cost around $200, the price of player-only units averaged less than half that.  It was noted that VHS equipment would not remain on the market for long since the format had become obsolete.

Quartermaster: Vending machine - Machine units sold to date 10,185, this period 372 to date. Total sales to date $6542.00, this period $279.00. The report was also given to the Secretary.

Facilities: Paving of the parking lot is done, and it will be dry by this Wednesday.  The pine tree may be trimmed because it’s overhanging the parking lot - more on this in the agenda. Greg Bilan offered to trim the tree; he was told to talk to Tadao offline.

Publications: the minutes of both the meeting and the board meeting should be sent to the web site for publication.

Library: 22 DVDs were added to the DVD library in December and January.

Events: Loscon happened; money and information will be turned over to the club later. All Conventions are going on as scheduled. The 2011 bid for Westercon was won by San Jose.  Marcia Minsky becomes the new current Loscon Chair on Feb 1. The Forry Memorial is still going to happen, and the club is still planning the meeting. There is progress on plans for the 75th club anniversary.  Christian will talk about this in February,

Recruitment: Arlene Satin will write up her fund raising plans.
John Hertz: There was a motion to pay John Hertz for the hour of work which he did for the Art Release Form - the fee was $100. The motion was passed, 8 to 1 with 2 abstentions.  Arlene brought up that this fee was not mentioned when John Hertz was asked to work on the Art Release Form. Karl said that Mr. Hertz is from the old school of Law, where the work is done, then the payment is made because he trusts the BOD to give him the money.

Webmaster: The Golds said the minutes should be sent to the web site and De Profundis is archived in the web site.  

Christian McGuire made a motion that the Board Secretary should send the corrected Minutes to the web site and this was  approved unanimously. Elayne Pelz wants this motion to be e-mailed to her for the Bylaws.

Marketing: We have a table at the opening of Star Trek Enterprise at the IMAX theater, and we are working on new things. We should continue to display at the West Hollywood Book Fair as the Book Faire gave us a good booth last year. A motion was made by Karl Lembke that we should continue displaying at the Book Fair and this was passed 9 to 0 with 2 abstentions.
Club President: There was nothing to report.

Agenda:
Asphalt is poured and spread. The normal life-span for asphalt is 5-10 years.

Marcia Minsky has a request for the Brewster Rockit Fan club wanting to meet on the second Friday of the month. This will be a recurring date and that club will donate to LASFS. There will be 8 to 10 members attending meetings, and the Board recommended a six-month trial period. There was a motion to this effect, and it passed 8 to 0 with 3 abstentions.

Financial statement: Elayne Pelz turned in the 2008 fiscal budget, and the Secretary was given a copy. Milt said that our income is the same for two years. Budget line items - we could renegotiate our costs. Hall decorations budget will be removed. If the treasury has more than $15,000, then the rest goes into the Century Fund. There was a discussion of the Video Library, and Arlene wanted to know if funds could be cut from the video line items.  Elayne said it would do no good. The Budget was accepted as amended.

Tadao asked if the Gestetner is dead. Marty said he is not sure. Elayne reminded the Board that once the Gestetner stops working, it won’t be repaired again which was also talked about in November meeting.

De Profundis: Milt reported the cost is going up for the paper so the paper version of De Profundis should be discontinued because things for the newsletter can be done for the web site. Then the question came up on how much time it takes to get De Profundis ready for the membership. Milt said 8 hours to write up and 8 hours to mail out, and these factors should be put into the cost,  Heide withdrew her objections from last meeting. Fred Lazzelle said that he did not want De Profundis to be only on line. Elayne requested a Bylaw to be mentioned at the February meeting stating that DP in paper form be moved to the web site and that the paper version be discontinued. This will take a number of Bylaws sections. This was moved, seconded, and passed 10 to 0 with 1 abstention. Christian McGuire asked Marty Cantor if he will  do the online publication of  DP. Marty said, “Possibly, yes.”  Christian McGuire asked the Board to allow a person who wants to do the work on sending out newsletters to those who want it in the club to get reimbursed for sending mail to members. Tadao requested that the President should bring up at the Thursday meeting that anyone who wants to work for the newsletter could volunteer. This was a suggestion.

The Code of Conduct Committee statement was read by Heide Nichols. The Board thanked Heide for the work on the committee. Darnell Coleman had an issue on the Code word that makes a person a target: the word was Xenon. The first line of the Code of Conduct was approved, Gregg Barrett said the use of the code word would start rumors, because people would hear the word and think why was the word used - and then would come the rumors. The second line was sent back to the Committee for work. Arlene Satin suggested this and the suggestion along with the approval of the first line of the code of conduct became a motion and was passed   10 to 0 with one abstention. Heide wants to come back to the Board in March.

Other items not on the agenda:
Darnell Coleman mentioned that there was side chatter, and Karl said he will be watchful of this.
A letter was sent from ASCAP about music and audio at Loscon 35, with the letter writer needing some kind of proof for the license of the music. Elaine said this had been taken care of.

Takeaways:
Code of Conduct, Elayne is doing a Bylaws rewrite.

Pole pruning for the lemon tree: There was a discussion of trimming the neighbor's side of the lemon tree. Thorsen pointed out that it had been decided last year that doing so would constitute acceptance of financial liability for the neighbor's complaint of lemons denting the roofs of his car and his customers' cars. Nevertheless, attending members (including Greg Bilan) volunteered to trim the tree on the neighbor's side during the Second Sunday Open House after the close of the Board meeting. Pole-extended tree-trimming shears were requested by Greg Bilan. One of the attending members offered to donate a set of pole pruners. The trimming was undertaken offline in an unofficial capacity by volunteers. The question of LASFS' financial liability to repair the neighbor's cars remains unresolved.

There was a motion by Arlene to end the meeting and the meeting ended at 1:25 pm.
Last Updated ( Monday, 04 May 2009 )
 
< Prev   Next >