Board of Directors meeting, December 14, 2008 PDF Print E-mail
Board of Directors meeting, December 14, 2008
Karl Lembke, Chairman
Darnell Coleman, Secretary
Meeting called to order at 11:10.

Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Bob Null, Darnell Coleman, Elayne Pelz, Bill Ellern, Christian McGuire, Marcia Minsky, Tadao Tomomatsu, Arlene Satin, Milt Stevens, Mike Thorsen.
Members: Sherri Benoun, Tony Benoun, Joyce Sperling, Patrick Bradley, Thomas Safer, Maryann Canfield, Michael Pell, Heide Nichols, Greg Bilan, and Marty Cantor. Miscellaneous Announcements. The passing of Forry Ackerman was brought up by Karl Lembke. A minute of silence was called. Bill Ellern is leaving the Board 12/14/08.  Appreciations were given to him. Bill Ellern gave final words.  This meeting was his last meeting as Comptroller: He has family and life commitment, the drive is too long, and he felt he did not do as much as he wanted to. Bill gave a dire financial warning about the American financial situation as it would pertain to the club: i.e inflation and 25% unemployment. This wasn’t all doom and gloom. Bill gave pearly words of wisdom on surviving the future and he hopes the new people would show leadership through the coming situation.

The Minutes were approved as corrected.

New Members: J Karen Star, Melissa DeMello, Tana Tharalson, Bootsie Brenner were accepted as members.
 
Treasurer’s Report: $86,050 on hand and our property tax was paid. Budget review will be done in January.

Tadao Tomomatsu, LOSCON ARCHIVIST - Loscon archives are being made for the con and are put into a mobile unit which is called Oracle. This is an on-going process. The hard drive is filled, so we will need an extra hard-drive. LASFS and LOSCON archive videos are being uploaded to Youtube.com.

Facilities:  Main first aid kits were refilled just before LOSCON. Sublevel grills were re-attached.   Mr. Thorsen and Mr. Null replaced various light bulbs.  Front driveway asphalt pavement estimates are being taken care of by Elayne Pelz and will be reviewed as part of the Agenda Items in this meeting. Karl Lembke-APA-Ls are being scanned as PDF files.  Christian McGuire moved that Karl Lembke be thanked for this work. Motion unanimously passed. Then the Board applauded Karl.

30-second reports:
Chairman:  I got the Agenda out.
Vice Chairman: Lifetime member list is being worked on, using information from the club's archives.
Secretary: Because he listened to someone to whom he should not have listened, he will be getting an evaluation of his work in February.
Comptroller: Nothing to report.
Audio-Visual: The work is moving along smoothly.
Quartermaster: We have enough paper towels, and we still have two packages of Charmin toilet paper.
Quartermaster’s report: Machine Units, total sold - 9,813. This period the units sold are 357, with machine total sales of $6263. This period was $267.65. The report was turned in. Thanks to Loscon for contributing many cans of soda which will be used by the club.

Publications: We are possibly stopping the paper version of De Profundis (which costs $100 a month) because of its cost. We are thinking of stopping both the paper version and the website. That which has been pubbed by De Profundis can be put into the website.  Items like the Minutes can be submitted to the website. Arguments - What about those who don’t have internet connection? Arlene said that this would make people want to look at the website and tell others about the website. Marty Cantor said that De Profundis should be continued as a monthly connection to those who do not get to the club very often – especially if they have no on-line access. Mike Thorsen asked if De Profundis could be made in a two-page format: one side the calendar, the second side news. Milt said this was a good idea.

Then five minutes later Marty asked about postage and work on De Profundis. There are people who are required to get all club publications.  He said the club is obligated to make sure that certain people (I don’t know who these are) have to get information from the club; these people may not have any other way of getting the information so it has to be mailed to them. Then Tadao? said that maybe, as a non-profit organization, LASFS has to make sure that its members be shown to have received this information. These two things made Milt say that even the two- page paper format would be costly. But then during the discussion that possibly all the membership would need to get the publication, Milt saw in this money and postage issues and said that if this is true we still have money issues.

Tadao asked if Milt wanted to continue to work on De Profundis. Milt said that now that money is an issue, he could stop working on the newsletter. Elaine pressed Bill to work on De Profundis. Tadao said that this is turning into a huge debate so we should table it and Elaine Pelz agreed that we should table this for the January meeting.

Heide said that members who don’t come on Thursday won’t get information about the club if De Profundis is discontinued. Some people like her don’t get a lot of information anyway because they don’t go on Thursdays; in other words, information should be given in other forms like mail. Joyce Sperling said that there are just people who don’t get the publication; it’s just announced at the meeting that the publication is ready to be picked up. Christian McGuire said that over the past 3 years we have tried to make De Profundis electronic and we have asked the club to go electronic. Now we insist. Elaine said that club members could pay the Voluntary Active Membership Fee of $10.00 a year so they could get things like De Profundis. This fee Heidi then paid. The extensive discussion was then tabled until January. There was a request to Milt to work on the December De Profundis, which he was going to do anyway.

Events:
75th anniversary under Christian. Christian McGuire
Loscon 35-Gave reports
La La Con- Is on the calendar.
Loscon 36 report was given.
Fiestacon (Westercon) is still happening

Fund raising and recruitment: A possible recruitment event will be discussed at a later meeting
.
Marketing Committee: We were invited to the Regal Theater in Irvine to show off the club and this was successful. Arlene Satin thanked the people who helped in this. There will be another event in May, the opening of Star Trek.

Club president: The club had an election and the new officers look promising.

Agenda items:
Elaine requested that $5,000 be taken from the Century Fund so that the pavement in front of the building can be re-paved.  Moved and seconded, 10 aye, 1 abstention.

Bylaws-Standing rules:  Elaine continued the discussion from last month, proposing to do clean up to make the corrections to be sent to the Board by Email. Board members can make corrections; a special meeting will be called.
 Memorial for Forry Ackerman:  Tadao said that maybe Forry’ s memorial should be in January. The date for Forry Ackerman’s memorial was set for Saturday, January 24th. This was Moved and Seconded if it does not interfere with funeral or other memorials - unanimously passed. Time 1:00 pm, Forry Ackerman’s family or estate should be contacted about the memorial.

Art release form:  Arlene Satin - The Art release form will be used in January. Moved, seconded, and approved unanimously,

Geocaching: Patrick Bradley gave a presentation with handouts. Patrick wants a LASFS coin to be made for GPS tracking. The minting of the coin would make money and bring in membership because people would look for the LASFS coin. $150 would be the cost for the initial minting. These coins could be sold for $5 or more at auction. Patrick Bradley wanted to use the clubhouse for a Geocaching meeting, he said that thirty people would be attending. There will be a donation to the club. He would also like to put a Gumball machine into the facility. 50% of the proceeds will go to the club. Bill Ellern said that the proposals of this Geocaching program should be given to the Marketing committee to work out the details. Parliamentarian (Joyce) wants a copy of these minutes.

Christian McGuire brought up in and aside that Ed Greene should give the club back the paperweights since the club paid for them. Moved and seconded to table.  This issue should be tabled to 2009 AD. 10 aye, 1 nay. Christian McGuire moved and seconded that the Gumball machine be tried for 3 months.  10 aye and 1 nay, the motion passed.

Friday Night gaming:  We are trying limited time opening.

Tom Safer Film Day request: Moved and seconded for approval but the date will be worked on with Elaine. 8 aye, 1 nay, 1 abstention.

Bill Ellern asked if there a daily cost to run LASFS. Christian said that information is not yet known.

Christian started a discussion about the refrigerator in the front building being removed.  Argument for removal is that it saves money on electricity and it's not used a lot. We have cooler boxes. Arguments against removal is that the refrigerator is only two years old and the refrigerator is used enough to be needed. There are things that are placed in the refrigerator for a day that are too large for a cooler. Mike Thorsen said the refrigerator has an on and off switch and a power saving factor. The motion to remove the refrigerator died without a second.  However the physical plant person, Tadao, will start turning off the refrigerator more often for days at a time after notice about this is given to the club

The Minnesota Society wants information about how LASFS bought its clubhouse. Tadao was directed to interface with these people.

The Code of Conduct Committee: The committee wants a date to bring in a presentation.

Christian will ask Ed Green for LASFS pins.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:40 pm.
Last Updated ( Monday, 04 May 2009 )
 
< Prev   Next >