|Board Minutes, November 2016|
Board of Directors Meeting
Board Members in attendance: Karl Lembke, Marty Cantor, Gavin Claypool, Mike Thorsen, Rob "Gizmo" Powell, Marcia Minsky, Nick Smith, Debra Levin, and Christian McGuire, Elayne Pelz and Michelle Pincus.
Members and Guests: Greg Barrett, Greg Bilan, Barry Gold, Lee Gold, Matthew B. Tepper, Joe Zeff, Barbara Harmon, Don Weller, Nola Frame-Gray, Louie Gray.
Called to order: The meeting was called to order at 11:08 am. The Chairman welcomed us to the Sunday, November 13, 2016 meeting of the Board of Directors.
Minutes: The minutes of the meeting of October 9, 2016, were accepted as amended. The minutes of the Special Board Meeting of November 6, 2016 were accepted as corrected.
New Members: There were 4 applications for membership: Edwin Grace, Darlie Brewster, Melissa Dixon, and Sottolin Weng. They have paid their $10 membership application fees and were accepted.
Treasurer: (Elayne Pelz): After expensive plumbing repairs, we have money in our bank account with some of it going out to LOSCON for the truck.
Chairman (Karl Lembke): No report.
Vice Chairman (Christian McGuire): No report.
Secretary (Marty Cantor): No report.
Publications (Marty Cantor): No report.
Comptroller (Debra Levin): No report.
Quartermaster/Supplies (Mike Thorsen): This month: 310 units were sold, bringing in $310.00. Total units to date: 37,423 and total monies to date: $32,672.50. We purchased the usual paper products, some kitchen items, and some bathroom plumbing items.
Library (Gavin Claypool): We have acquired several boxes of books from members who will be moving from this area and we are gradually getting them up on shelves. We are acquiring boxes for moving and will probably start filling them in January.
Archives (Marcia Minsky): Karl Lembke mentioned that there were flash drives of pdf files of all of the APA-L disties to date and one was archived. 5 disties are missing and 7 are incomplete.
Physical Plant (Elayne Pelz): Other than plumbing, nothing new.
AV Equipment (Rob Powell): No report.
Events (Nick Smith): (LOSCON 43 [Michelle Pincus]): Much excitement and anticipation about upcoming LOSCON by both concom members and the public.
Recruitment, and Marketing Committee (Michelle Pincus): After LOSCON there will be a few things to be done.
Club President (Nick Smith): Instead of me being at our last meeting I was in downtown Los Angeles at a meeting with publishers and we may be getting a donation to the library. We may also get some guests for future club events.
WEB MASTER (Barry Gold): News about LASFS will be moving has been put on the web site. Karl Lembke mentioned a report from Charlie Jackson about the Forry Award book. The editorial work has mostly been completed. Formatting work has been started. There was a discussion about who would be listed as the publisher.
1. Proposal revision of Standing Rule 21 (LOSCON).
There was a discussion of pass-ons. There was a discussion of having a written harassment policy being part of the requirements of bidding committees bidding for the com. The proposal, with possible amendments, was put off for the next meeting to accommodate proposed changes to it.
2. The Search: discussion of parameters. Escrow is closing on November 28. After this we are on a rent-back. The discussion was about getting a vacant lot and having a steel building built to our specs. and put on the lot. If we build one of these buildings on a vacant lot we can afford we can get a new clubhouse with the money we got for this one. It was mentioned that we should all be looking both for buildings and for vacant lots. With this new option we will be working with General Steel to build the building. Also, in building from scratch we get all of the internet, security wiring, and other things put in for less money if done when built rather than as add-ons later on.
3. The move: planning and logistics - see number 2.
4. The build-it-yourself option: discussion of parameters - see number 2.
5. LASFS Mission Statement discussion. Elayne mentioned that the mission statement previously presented by Gavin was right in line with what Elayne needed for the grant process.
6. Thank-you letter to Councilmember Ryu. This was a thank-you for the Forrest J Ackerman Square to be dedicated.
7. Executive session:
a. Letter from San Diego dealer
b. Private event intrusions by club members
c. Harassment committee report.
It was moved, seconded, and passed (with 2 abstentions) that the committee to investigate code of conduct alleged violations be thanked for their effort and the committee was then disbanded.
The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be on December 11, 2016.
The Board adjourned its meeting at 1:29 pm
|Last Updated ( Thursday, 05 January 2017 )|